Statistics

SUPPORT (183 Members) . GROW (7 Association). PROMOTE (Visitors from 14 Countries). (Check The Site's Statistics)

Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Harry Winston of Indian couture?

A tiny boutique hidden in the bylanes Colaba is all that you see of Radhika Naik. Here is one fashion designer who goes all out to keep a low profile. “I believe there is a dignity attached with haute couture and this can only be maintained by staying away from constant over exposure,” she maintains.

Straddling both the Indian and internationally markets adeptly, Radhika believes there is no serious fashion in India. “When it comes to western creations, designers here rip off international designers and as for Indian wear, it will always be a Radhika Naik copy,” she says.

Not one to bother with fashion shows in India, Radhika has already shown with names such as Cavalli and Armani abroad. “I have my own network in the fashion scene abroad though I wouldn’t say I rub shoulders with Yves Saint Laurent and the likes daily,” admits the girl. While she spends most of the year in Europe, she doesn’t like to ignore her Indian clientele, “Couture in India translates into bridal wear and I look out for cash rich and time poor clients.”

Catering to her exclusive clientele by appointment only she unabashedly says, “I am the Harry Winston of Indian couture.” For those who are here to simply window shop she has a word of advice, “Go look in a museum instead.”

A ‘fashion hound’ herself, for her personal style she, tracks designers “by season”. “The biggest trouble with Indians is that they don’t know when to drop a designer,” she says. As for designing for Bollywood beauties, “I don’t think Indian women are synonymous with beauty. There are a few exceptions. Also I could never design for a four feet few inches woman simply because she is a famous actress.”

As for the line up of international designer wear brands coming into India, “I advise people to buy them abroad as the whole experience is totally different there.”

Finally ask her what she is on the look out for and she readily replies, “I am not looking to be famous. I want to be great.”

No comments: